Friday - September 2 - Ephesians 6:1-4
6 sChildren, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right.2 t“Honor your father and mother” (this is the first commandment with a promise), 3 “that it may go well with you and that you may live long in the land.” 4 Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, ubut bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.
God's word brings both profound and very basic instruction to live life. This one is a basic for kids because, "son I brought you into this world and I can take you out". For me, in order to enjoy the peaceful life that I desire I must teach Godly values including discipline and obedience.
ReplyDeleteFor us, if we are leading, training, and teaching our children to follow Christ, then they in turn will want to be obedient to us. Christian children who are living a Spirit filled life will obey their parents as part of their love and obedience to Jesus Christ.
ReplyDeleteDiscipline is spiritual. You can't take the spiritual out of discipline. It goes so far beyond just instructing about what is right or wrong, but why God says it is right and how He carves out the best life for us to live when we are surrendered to Him.
ReplyDeleteThis challenge to fathers specifically is huge for me (David). I struggle with making sure that my discipline is not for my benefit but for theirs, not to provoke them to anger, but to lead them to be godly people.